An early sketch of the library done by Stewardson & Page architects. (1921) Note the windows at the front of the building were changed for the final design. The original plan for the library also had a fireplace on the north wall, where the chimney is located. Cope & Stewardson, which became Stewardson & Page, were known for their design of institutional buildings. Much of the Penn campus and other local universities were designed by the firm. They also were architects for many of the city’s elite.