This announcement, celebrating the 50 year anniversary of the Vincentown Library’s founding and dated 1917, is signed by S.S. Herbert, Secretary of the Library Association.
Southampton has had a version of a library since 1867. The first public library in the village of Vincentown was privately owned by John G Herbert, who loaned his books to the residents. He had a select school on Plum Street, which was part of his home. Mr. Herbert was a Yale graduate. He and his daughters ran the school from 1858-1898. (D. Best)